Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

I just asked a question on SO that was referencing the CSS "font-family" rule.

It was my understanding that tags with multiple words should be separated by a dash -.

The tag that came up when I typed font-family was .

Two questions:

  1. Would be the preferred way to write this?
  2. If so, is there a way to rename the tag so that all the posts using it use the new format?

Of course, a synonym could be set up so that is a synonym for , but assuming the latter is incorrect, that would just be putting a minor fix on the problem.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by CRABOLO, ben is uǝq backwards, Martijn Pieters, Emrakul, gnat Jan 17 '15 at 16:46

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question pertains only to a specific site in the Stack Exchange Network. Questions on Meta Stack Exchange should pertain to our network or software that drives it as a whole, within the guidelines defined in the help center. You should ask this question on the meta site where your concern originated." – CRABOLO, ben is uǝq backwards, Martijn Pieters, Emrakul, gnat
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 10 down vote accepted

It seems like a better question to ask is:

Why is there a tag at all?

Do we need a tag for every CSS attribute? Why doesn't cover it? I see a few misguided tagging attempts in the question list for :

, , , , , ,

And these are just the ones that intersect with : there seems to be a tag for nearly every single CSS selector, HTML element, and UI control. They should all just go away: tagging is meant to categorize questions into useful segments so people can follow them, not to make sure keywords show up on the question. That's what the question body is for.

So instead of using or because you happen to use the attribute in your question, just use and add any other tag you think a reasonable person interested in answering your question would follow: maybe if it's specifically a font problem.

share|improve this answer
My favorite is the p tag, used for questions remotely related to the html <p> tag. Totally agree with you here, often people just break the question title up into tags. "How do I style a list with CSS?" gets tagged [how] [style] [list] [with] [css] – Wesley Murch Aug 15 '11 at 3:40
Perhaps you could add: [ol], [ul], [center], [leftalign], [div], etc. to the list? However, for certain things, like [abbr], they might be obscure enough to merit their own tag? perhaps. Just my $0.02 – M. Tibbits Aug 15 '11 at 4:50
You realize @Wesley, that I and about five others just ran over to see if [how] is really a tag.... Nope. I believe it was blacklisted. – M. Tibbits Aug 15 '11 at 6:31
Even some html entities apparently have their own tag. Note to self: This year, earn gold badge in the [nbsp] tag. Next year: Step up my game to earn the [non-breaking-spaces] Gold Badge. – Wesley Murch Aug 15 '11 at 6:37
So you suggest fontfamily be BURNINATED? – Mechanical snail Aug 18 '11 at 21:36

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .