Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

Maybe it's better to say, how is it possible to determine that a special person has dealt with a question that has so many answers and comments?

For example, I found this interesting question in which many people have cooperated to provide their opinions, but I want to know whether Mr. Eric Lippert also has provided any ideas (in form of comment or answer) about that or not.

At present, the only thing that comes to mind is to see all of the pages that related to the question and try to search for eric through Internet Explorer. Of course, that's totally tedious, is there a better solution?

in a nutshell :How can we see if a specific user has posted an answer or a comment to a specific question ?

share|improve this question
Are you asking, "How can we see if a specific user has posted an answer to a specific question?" – Cody Gray Aug 17 '11 at 13:02
Yes exactly I mean That ,excuse me for my poor english =) – siamak Aug 17 '11 at 14:52
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Search using the inquestion and user filters.

inquestion:[this|questionId] user:[userid]

You can see a list of the advanced search features here.

share|improve this answer
I tried inquestion:[this] user:[22656] AND inquestion:this user:22656 AND inquestion:this "Jon Skeet" but unfortunately non of them works for me .am i missing something here?thanks – siamak Aug 17 '11 at 16:30
@siamak, 22656 is Jon Skeets StackOverflow user id. The question you're looking at is on Programmers.StackExchange. His user id there is 8958. So try inquestion:this user:8958 – Brandon Aug 17 '11 at 16:34
@siamak, with the [] it does appear a little misleading. If you search: inquestion:this user:167724 it will show your question. In other words, you must include the user-id (from the current site as @Brandon notes), not the username. Searching inquestion:this user:siamak will not return anything. Note also that the search will not find your comment. – M. Tibbits Aug 17 '11 at 16:36
@Brandon @ M.Tibbits The world Looks beautiful,thanks ,But as Tibbits mentioned in this way we couldnt search in comments , only we can search in ANSWERS ,is there an option that could help to find the comment of a specific user?and do u know a way for that? and do u think it could be a good and possible suggestion for stackoverflow? thanks again – siamak Aug 17 '11 at 17:45
@Siamak, comments have a history of being treated as second class citizens. I believe it would be declined. As far as I know, there is no way to search comments within StackOverflow. From a question, using the browser find wont always work, as collapsed comments need to be retrieved from the server. You could go to the user's profile, activity tab, and filter by comments. You could then use your browsers search feature to find the question. – Brandon Aug 17 '11 at 18:58
@Brandon,Thank u again , as you said comments are second class citizens and it seems that ther is not a way to search a specific question for comments of a specific user .so we juct can see all comments of a user through Activity tab .[Not all comments of a user for a specific question .in fact there is not such filtering option].and i think this could be a good feature request for SO. – siamak Aug 17 '11 at 23:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .