We should give a badge to editors who improve closed questions so much that they get reopened.
David Fullerton suggested this badge as part of this answer, which explains the motivation. I just thought it deserved a full-fledged, standalone request. (Actually, when I read his answer, the idea felt very familiar, and I was certain that it had been proposed before. However, I couldn't find any existing proposal after a relatively long search.)
There are lots of possible variants on this idea, which I'll let people hash out in discussion. Things to consider:
- How many questions do you need to get reopened to earn the badge?
- What if there are already reopen votes on a question you're editing?
- What if a question gets re-closed after reopening? Re-reopened?
- Should it matter if the question you edit is your own?
- If some user posts a bad question, a couple people vote to close, a Good Samaritan edits the question into shape, and no more close votes get cast, should the Good Sam get the badge?
- What's a good name? David suggested "Resurrection." I'm not a huge fan of that, for two reasons. First, it sounds too much like Revival and Necromancer, but this badge doesn't work like either of those. Second, it implies that closed questions are dead, which is exactly the image that we're trying to eliminate.
- Bronze, silver or gold?