Inspired by this question, what happens if:
- User #1 posts a question.
- User #2 offers a bounty on said question
- User #3 answers the question with a horrible, terrible answer
- User #2 awards the bounty to the terrible answer because they're confused or they're trying to confuse the rest of us
- The terrible answer is flagged and a mod:
- Deletes the answer altogether. (Can they do this?)
- Converts the answer to a comment or to it's own question.
This is not a duplicate of If a bounty question is deleted after awarding it, what happens? because mine is about a deleted answer.
Does the bounty have to be refunded first? What happens to the rep? Isn't this a possible form of gaming? See Brock's comment:
That bit about refunding the bounty applies to questions. See here, here, and here. No mention is made of how answers are handled. ... ... In fact it would be diabolical if the rep was refunded. I could get traffic on my Q, then award the bounty to an NAA (generated by my sock-puppet, if necessary). Then the answer gets flagged and ka-ching!