So I ask a question, get some incredibly useful answers, then it gets closed. Judging from other closed questions with the hosting tag, such questions are banned? Maybe the FAQ needs to be updated, because as I read it, these questions are fine:
- software tools commonly used by programmers
- practical, answerable problems that are unique to the programming profession
- practical, answerable questions based on actual problems that you face
Needing hosting for (non-professional) web app development is exactly these three things.
And it's not any of these:
If your question would be of interest to …
- System administrators and desktop support professionals, ask on Server Fault.
- Computer enthusiasts and power users, ask on Super User.
- Pro webmasters, ask on Webmasters.
- Professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development, ask on Programmers.
So if hosting request questions are out, the FAQ should be updated. (And personally, I think they should be allowed - the answer given by Lakshman Prasad was much better than the list given on the Django website).