- Very limited, perhaps a couple of hours,
- Should only apply to first time questions, from brand new users (excluding users transfering from other sites),
- No rep loss on down votes, and possibly not even showing down votes,
- Standard notification to everyone that the post is in the grace period (similar to mod notifications)
- Possibly an expanded down vote tooltip, something along the lines of "OP is brand new, play nice"
Another, possibly highly controversial idea, would be that posts are only visible to higher rep users / moderators during the grace period.
But, it's possible that a grace period will be perceived as differentiating noobs from elites, as dreamlax commented, and I really don't like that.
- Optional, at the discretion of the OP
- Suspends the question for a limited time, question is only visible via the review page and / or moderator tools
- Could be offered to all users
Higher rep users / moderators could review the question and leave helpful comments. After sandbox mode expires, question goes live and it's business as usual.
These are of course quite vague, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
We recently had a highly emotional discussion on Programmers Meta, and although the consensus seems to be that the system works as intended, it's hard to ignore the fact that several new users feel alienated.
And I recently had an offline chat with a 3K user (PSE again) and I was amazed of how many aspects of the system he was unaware of (simple stuff, really), something that tells me that as the system is rapidly evolving information is becoming extremely fragmented, especially from the point of view of a new user in one of the less popular sites.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Down votes?