As per the FAQ for Stack Exchange sites, this FAQ will serve the following purposes:
- To be the canonical reference for moderators across the Stack Exchange sites for things that are beyond question (typically, "how" questions)
- For situations that a moderator will face, provide information to help understand the nuances of that situation, so that the moderator can make best possible decision that is in the interest of their Stack Exchange site and Stack Exchange in general (typically, "when" questions)
- To bring new moderators on sites (pro tempore or elected) up to speed quicker.
- What are the moderation tools available to high-reputation users?
- How do I contact a user privately, as a moderator?
- How can I find posts with excessive numbers of comments?
- Why does one of the moderator's history stats show up red?
- Reporting bugs in moderator tools
- How can I search for deleted posts as a moderator?
Voting to Close
- What is the etiquette for modifying posts?
- What should I do with a post that contains sensitive/personal information? (Moderator Only Link)
- Current list of moderators on all of the Stack Exchange sites
- Who are the Community Managers, and what do they do?