So the other day when I came close to hitting the 200 point maximum for the day, I noticed that I actually had reached it but then the bounty I put on a question dropped me 50 (as it should) and thus I ended up at 195 at the end of the day.
So the questions come down to:
- Does the bounty go against the 200 point limit such that you can actually *earn* more but then apply it to a bounty (essentially it'd let you get free bounty points that otherwise you would have lost anyway).
- And if you do earn more than 200, but spend bounty points so that your total is less than 200, does this prevent you from earning things like the Mortarboard badge ("Earned at least 200 reputation in a single day")? [I had already earned it, but I suspect I wouldn't have].
And, of course, the real end question is: Is the current situation correct or should it be changed? Personally, I'm fine with either math option.
- option 1: daysTotal = min(200, earnedTotal) - bounty
- option 2: daysTotal = min(200, earnedTotal - bounty)
- option 3: daysTotal = min(200, earnedTotal) ; completeTotal = daysTotal - bounty
I believe that #2 is what's happening today (and the badge would only be given when daysTotal == 200). The difference between #2 and #3 is really whether the badge is awarded.