Update 16/02/2012: Haven't seen this all day. Not a blip, or at least, nothing to remark on.
The past week or two, SO's been really quite slow at times, really impacting at least my ability to contribute to the site. Is this a known issue being addressed? Are others running into it? If not, I'll put it down to my route to the site having issues for whatever reason.
- I just clicked a question, and the request
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9291843/cloning-elements-keeping-select-valuestook 14.9 seconds, 14.57 of which was "waiting," 331ms being "receiving". (The ancillary stuff after the request for that URL was very quick.) More typical times for me are that the main question request takes a third of a second or less, in total.
- I've also recently been getting timeouts when clicking question, nothing comes up at all.
- Clicking my inbox, I'll get a long delay (sometimes markedly long). One example I measured was fairly short, but still
http://stackoverflow.com/inbox/genuwine?_=1329301825268took more than two full seconds to load (whereas normally in my experience it's nearly instantaneous).
- I'll add a comment and see the progress dots for several seconds before it gets added, sometimes even getting the orange box saying a problem occurred.
- I'll click to edit something and, again, see the progress dots for several seconds (sometimes quite a few) before the editing interface appears.
My rough, unscientific sense (not having monitored with the console open, but I am now so I can be specific about what URLs are being slow to load) is that it's the dynamic content server rather than the static stuff. I've had issues with the static stuff in the past (hit refresh and the CSS doesn't load, that kind of thing; usually only for brief periods of time), but these symptoms are different.