Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

I asked a question on SO about what I need to do to prepare to freelance/consult. It was closed by the mod's, but I'm not sure where I should go to ask this type of question?

It is programming related but not necessarily programming, I can see why it doesn't necessarily fit on SO but don't know where to go to ask this.

Link to question (10K).

Everyone else:

I'm going to start doing some freelance/consulting work outside of my normal job. I've never done this before so I'm not sure how I need to set myself to do this?

They will make me a vendor and give me a 1099 at the end of the year I think. Do I need to do anything special beyond this? We are not talking about a lot of hours, I think 20-30 total.

I'd be interested in any input from current freelancer/consultants. Are you a LLC, S-corp? How do you handle taxes and payments? Did any of this cost you money to setup?

Is there a SE Community for this already?


share|improve this question
Deleted it so you wouldn't attract 20 more downvotes. – Won't Feb 27 '12 at 21:46
@Won't: Why didn't you just lock it? – Martin. Feb 27 '12 at 22:07
@Martin: Because it was crying out for deletion anyway? – Cody Gray Feb 28 '12 at 0:25

Don't ask on Programmers either.

It might be OK for OnStartups, however, it might well be too localised for there anyway so check by searching for similar questions before posting.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, Ill give it a whirl. – user146551 Feb 27 '12 at 22:03
@ProfessionalAmateur This question is not appropriate for OnStartups either. It is way too broad. You need to do some initial research on your own so you can ask a more specific question. (I'm a mod on OnStartups.) – Zuly Gonzalez Feb 27 '12 at 22:08
@Zuly - It's a tough questions to research, there are so many type of 'contract' work from trades to software, and there are many site that just want money to help you set up an LLC... I'm trying to filter good research from bad. It seems SE is not the place for these types of questions, which is okay, I was just hoping for some insight or a solid direction to help refine my searching. – user146551 Feb 27 '12 at 22:12
@ProfessionalAmateur - if all you're doing is 20-30 hours work TOTAL, then I can pretty much tell you for sure that you need to do nothing special. Your tax person can help you declare that 1099 income at the end of the year. If you were working full-time on a 1099 you might have to make advanced payments to the IRS, but a tax person would be able to tell you more. – Adam Rackis Feb 27 '12 at 22:16
@ProfessionalAmateur Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't look like you've done any research at all. The issue with your question is that you have several unrelated questions that are all very broad. You need to take each one separately and research it independently before you can ask a less broad question. Maybe my answer here will help you get started. – Zuly Gonzalez Feb 27 '12 at 22:57
@Zuly - Thanks. I will definitely read that, I didn't know about the StartUps SE site until today. (one of the problems with SE is that the knowledge is often spread out too wide to make it easy to find). I appreciate the input. This is a brand new venture to me so my questions are probably overly noobish. – user146551 Feb 27 '12 at 23:07

Ask it nowhere. There are no SE sites in existence to give you legal advice, which is what your question is seeking.

Find yourself a tax professional, and ask him or her.

share|improve this answer
I don't believe that I cannot ask fellow programmers about their experiences as a freelancer/consultant. I understand for 100% legal guarantees to what Im asking that is my best bet. But I'm looking more to get info about the process, what people would have done differently, better, what order... anything they didnt think of that is necessary. Telling me to go to a tax person would be like telling everyone on SO to go to the vendor or software maintainer to get programming answers to their specific language. I fully understand YMMV with any answer you get from a SE site. – user146551 Feb 27 '12 at 22:02
@ProfessionalAmateur - if it were up to me, I'd make questions like that ok for Programmers.SE, but they're very very strict. Don't get me started. Just throw it up on OnStartups like Chris said and see where that gets you. – Adam Rackis Feb 27 '12 at 22:11
I completely understand. Maybe a side discussions is why do they have freelance and consulting tags on SO. It would seem that both of those would never apply to a valid question there. Thanks. – user146551 Feb 27 '12 at 22:14
@ProfessionalAmateur - the freelance tag is indeed a problem. See here:… – Adam Rackis Feb 27 '12 at 22:26
-1000 for "Just throw it up on OnStartups like Chris said and see where that gets you." I left a comment saying it was not a good fit for OnStartups, and I'm a mod, so it won't get him very far. – Zuly Gonzalez Feb 27 '12 at 22:37
@Zuly - -1000 for not realizing that I posted that comment before reading yourss. Geez. Calm down. Please. – Adam Rackis Feb 27 '12 at 22:39
According to the timestamps on our comments it would have been impossible for me to know that you posted your comment before reading mine. In any case, I'm not actually upset. I'll direct my fake wrath towards @ChrisF for being the first to suggest OnStartups :-) – Zuly Gonzalez Feb 27 '12 at 23:06

You must log in to answer this question.