The description for the Generalist badge doesn't mention the 200 questions per top tag requirement, so I'll just copy the description from the list of all badges with full descriptions so everyone knows what we are talking about:
- silver; awarded once
- Earn a tag score of 15 on one of the top 40 tags
- Repeat the above step until any 20 of the top 40 tags are covered
- Only awarded to anyone after each of the 40 top tags has at least 200 questions
Having earned the badge on Programmers, let me start by saying it's one of the most satisfying badges there are, I really do get where you are coming from. But adjusting its criteria per site doesn't make much sense:
- When I get the badge on a different site, I want it to be for exactly the same reasons as on Programmers.
- A smaller graduate site can only grow, it's only a matter of time. There is no restriction here, Generalist will be attainable on all sites eventually.
- If we lower the question threshold on a site, and people start earning the badge, what happens when the site grows? If we restore the threshold, then Generalists on the same site will have earned the badge under different criteria and if we don't restore it, then the badge will be easier to get even when the site grows as much as the top eight sites. Unfair, either way.
And in the end, does it really matter? It's just a badge, always cool when you get one, but not really something you should waste any time thinking about. Arbitrary punishment? Meh, almost every noteworthy badge is more difficult to get on a smaller site, and will naturally get easier over time. Generalist's inherent difficulty may be annoying, but can also serve as a milestone in a site's growth, as @ChrisF mentioned.
I vaguely remember looking at the list of badges when I was a noob on SO, and I can see how it can be a bit frustrating to see a badge there that can't be earned for a while. It might make some sense to remove the badge from the list until it's actually attainable, or add the 200 questions per tag requirement in it's description.
Or do nothing at all, it's just a silly badge.