Consider this scenario:
- John ask a question.
- Alice posts a comment on the question, John get notification.
- John reply to Alice comment. Alice gets notified and reply.
- Jason come over and post comment of his own to the question.
- John want to reply to Jason comment, so he press
@and need to think for a second.. "Alice, or Jason"?
- The auto complete starts working only after typing first letter. Having a blonde moment, John type
Aand notify Alice instead of Jason.
Now my suggestion: when there are two or more other users who posted comments, have the
@ auto fill the name of the last person who addressed you - Jason in the above scenario. Meant someone else? Just use backspace and type the proper name.