Here is a problem I faced with:
- Try to submit an answer with less characters (29), than minimum required (30)
- Error shown
Oops! Your answer couldn't be submitted because: body must be at least 30 characters; you entered 29
- Quickly add one more character. Click
Post Your Answer.
- Captcha is shown (possibly because you did two edits in less than 30 seconds). Forget about being the first one to answer.
The only way to avoid capture is to wait 30 seconds after adding that one character. Odd?
So, why not to check answer length on client side? E.g.
- Disable post button until required characters count entered (see Twitter)
- Show message before posting to server