Comments annoy me, a lot, and I think more often than not they are a waste of everyone's time. Let's put a stop to all the pointless extensive conversations by putting a limit to the comments a user may post per post. I'm thinking 4 comments per user is a sensible limit, and a limit I've never seen surpassed in useful comment discussions, but I'm open to a slightly larger limit.
So, to make this a bit more concrete:
- 4 comments per user per post,
- Deleting your own comments should grant you additional comments,
- Moderators should be exempt or have a larger limit (because we are awesome),
- When you reach the limit, the comment box should be replaced with a note to take the conversation to chat.
- Most people would probably think twice before posting useless comments, and if not they'll at least have to clean up after themselves if they wish to post a useful comment.
- A good enough way to stop pointless comment discussions,
- Yet another incentive to move extensive discussions to chat.
Nice to have:
- A larger limit (something like 20) per thread (question and all its answers),
- Limits could be slightly increased per reputation (not to say that higher rep users don't often abuse comments).
- Larger limits on Metas.