Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

I would like to use the <kbd> tag in a comment to refer to a keyboard shortcut. Is there a reason why this doesn't seem to be possible? I've tried it at the webapps stackexchange.

share|improve this question
You really want such thing in a comment?? – Shadow Wizard Feb 7 '13 at 8:28
up vote 11 down vote accepted

No, you cannot.

Comments only support a very limited form of markdown syntax, affectionately called "mini-markdown". And they definitely don't support HTML tags, which are required for <kbd> to work.

It's relatively rare to need to display keyboard shortcuts in comments. If you need this much formatting, you should probably be posting an answer instead.

As a workaround hack, use inline code formatting to make keyboard shortcuts stand out. For example:

Press `Alt`+`F4` to solve your problem.


Press Alt+F4 to solve your problem.

share|improve this answer
Ok sure, I'll do that. I was just wondering if there were any possibilities. I wanted to refer to a keyboard shortcut that someone posted and it was definitely not an answer. – Marnix May 18 '12 at 8:32
Windows,->,->,Enter also solves it. – bobobobo Oct 18 '12 at 14:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .