When responding to a "More than 20 comments posted" flag on this post I saw that the discussion had been moved over to a chat room and I thought great I can purge this little lot and leave a pointer to the chat room.
Upon further inspection of the room I noticed that not all of the comments had been moved.
Many of the comments from David Schwartz are replies to other users who's comments didn't get copied to the chat room.
The nett effect of this behaviour means:
- It's not possible to purge the original comment thread in one fell swoop and leave a pointer to the chat room
- The comments from David to the left behind users are orphaned and no longer have any context
There was clearly a lot of time spent coming up with the logic to work out which comments to move to chat. Surely a better workflow would be:
- Move the whole thread to chat
- Allow mods to purge the original comment thread and leave a pointer to the chat room
- Mods then clear out any chaff/rants in the chat room version