I found this question after searching for hours on problems with WIC after a server migration. The only answer very clearly indicates what the problem was (I moved from a Windows Server 2008 R2 to a Windows Server 2008 SP1 server) and how to fix it.
How do I improve the question/answer to make it more findable for someone in my situation? Are there general principles that could apply to all questions I might find in the future like this?
It would also be nice if the answer there mentioned that you need Windows Server 2008 SP2 installed before you can install the platform update.
My original problem:
- Post server migration all my WIC based thumbnail code was crashing
- I knew WIC was supported by Windows Server 2008 server
- I knew WIC was not supported by several earlier OS families
Steps I took:
- Google the actual error codes I was receiving, almost no results
- Step through a debugger to try to isolate the problem
- Reconfirm the code was working on the original server
- Create a test application to confirm it was not an isolated problem
- Finally noticed that the new server was running Windows Server 2008 SP1, not Windows Server 2008 R2. Googled "WIC Windows 2008" on a hunch and found the answer.