Close votes age away harmlessly after 4 days if the threshold is not reached. Each new close vote resets the timer, and close votes only start expiring if the question has had 100 views.
So say that a question has 99 views, two close votes and is then dormant for 6 months. It's then edited and gets view #100. Assuming there were no further votes cast, what then happens to those close votes exactly?
- All expire immediately as they're way more than 4 days old but now there are 100+ views
- All expire simultaneously 4 days after the 100th view was reached
- Start to age away at one per day immediately after there are 100 views*
- Start to age away at one per day on the fifth day (so after four days since 100+ views)*
- Do something else entirely
*Suggested by Jeff here. Has the policy changed since then or is it still the same?