I was really unsure where to ask this question. If someone knowledgeable thinks I am just freaking out, please feel free to tell me why and close the question. However, the claims I am making here are not unreal.
I have signed up for about 20 Stack Exchange newsletters (like SO, Ask Ubuntu, Physics etc.) and I have observed that the Spam mail I get has increased drastically thereafter. I use Gmail. This is a clean observation and I haven't signed up for any other thing, nor I had any of my mail settings changed, but the Spam count has increased about 10 times. I get one spam mail per an hour which is quite high compared to what it used to be before a couple of weeks.
- My question is whether Stack Exchange gives our mail addresses to some third party sites?
- Can the mail IDs be retrieved by someone else if they want to (by some means)?
- Are our Mail IDs stored in the database dumps?
- Is some other Stack Exchange site doing this, if not for Stack Overflow...?
- Are there some rules regarding this that have been mentioned in Stack Exchange agreements when we sign up?
- Has anyone experienced this sort of thing after they signed up for newsletters?
I might be offending Stack Exchange by making false claims/ completely stupid in my questions (without referring to something that has been told), but I want to know what I asked. Please answer me. Thanks!