What do you think is the strongest format for a question title?
I run into a lot of posts where I can't always figure out what the person is looking for, presumably for a number of reasons, including but not limited to:
- unfamiliarity with the topic
- unfamiliarity with SO
- use of a translator
- lack of effort
I understand that sometimes a brief description of the issue in the post is a good alternative than trying to summarize the question. Other times, it just obfuscates the real question. This is often complicated by the fact that users will sometimes post substandard questions (for the same reasons that their topics are less than satisfactory).
One of my personal pet peeves is questions of the format 'How to X?' Where X is their goal. It's not grammatically correct, and its basically just slapping a question mark onto the end of a statement, and in general indicates that not very much thought went into the question. As I see it anyway.
- Is it OK to edit a question to make the topic better (subject to your opinion)?
- Is it OK to modify a question on no more than the grounds that it was asked sloppily and could have been done better?
- What sort of titles do you look for when browsing for questions to answer?
- Is it OK to downvote a question because it has a crappy title, even if the rest of the question is OK?
- If you were to retitle this question, what would you title it?
- Why or why not would you consider trying to answer the following questions, purely based on appearance? Comment on effectiveness from both a grabbing perpective and a meaning perspective, i.e. how likely are you to stop and read it, and how close to the my actual question is it. These are titles requiring comment, not questions.
- What do you look for in a question title on StackOverflow?
- What to look for in question titles?
- Unsure of the best question title format, what to include, what to omit
- Trying to figure out how to ask effective questions
- How to ask good question?
- If you had to pick the strongest, most eye catching, information carrying, effective topic you've ever seen in a question, what would it be? Bonus: dig through questions you've answered and use a real example
For the record
I don't have the reputation to edit posts at will yet, I can only suggest. It takes a while for my suggested edits to go through.