Provide indicator that another user is editing a post
This process has happened to me several times:
- Read question (miss important detail)
- Answer (incorrectly, thanks to missed detail)
- Click "answer", page refreshes. See other answers, realize mistake.
- Edit question to include detail.
- By the time I finished editing, I've received enough downvotes (usually without explanatory comments) to kill the question.
I've since learned to scrutinize questions better but I'm still human and make misteaks. I think it would be a good idea to add an
Editing In Progress by:$username banner (like the ones that announce
An Edit has been made to this post (though perhaps a different color to avoid confusion).
I think the main argument for a banner is this: It would allow others who notice an error in the question/answer to see that it's being fixed. This would prevent the OMG KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!11!!ONEONE some users have with technically incorrect questions and unlike this idea (nothing aginst the idea, I just like mine better) would also allow the owner to see when others are editing.