Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

Possible Duplicate:
Exit strategies for “chameleon questions”

Please accept my apologies if this a duplicate question

But OP have changed the the original question that I have answered and have given a sorry in return

How to get the ID to delete this item from the table?

What shall I do so OP can raise the changed question as a new question else OP will keep on changing this question again and again till project is complete

BTW I was advised on chat to raise a question on meta

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Flexo, Lix, Manishearth, C. Ross, jadarnel27 Jul 18 '12 at 12:37

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

ok, its been set to older version, check it again. – Lucifer Jul 18 '12 at 10:11
@Lucifer thank you very much please can you put this answer so I can accept it – HatSoft Jul 18 '12 at 10:15
if the user keeps it up, the question should be flagged as "Other" with an explanation of what is happening. – Andrew Barber Jul 18 '12 at 10:15
@HatSoft, it can't be an answer, however, you have already an detailed answer now. – Lucifer Jul 18 '12 at 10:16
nevermind my above in this case; I see from the comments the op already understands the mistake. – Andrew Barber Jul 18 '12 at 10:16
@OP did say his sorry which is very nice what I am trying to stop is OP's changing the same question again & again till project is complete – HatSoft Jul 18 '12 at 10:20
cheers guys very professional approach – HatSoft Jul 18 '12 at 10:26
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Depending on how much changed I either:

  • add a comment to ask the OP to refrain from doing this in the future ("please ask a new question next time", in friendly, more verbose wording).

  • Revert the edit, and ask the OP to create a new question, with a link to their original edit so they can retrieve their posting.

In the comment I specifically point out that people that answered do not get notified of the changes made to the question, and that editing a question to such an extent invalidates the existing answers and work put into them. This not only frustrates the original answerers, but also anyone visiting the question in the future, as the now out-of-date answers will be confusingly wrong for the current question.

If you cannot edit a question yourself yet, you can at least make a suggested edit, and comment accordingly.

If the OP shows a history of question switching, or persists in editing the one post to follow his evolving problem even after you gently guided him in the right direction, flag the post for moderator attention. Moderators have more tools to their disposal, but should only be called in for stubborn cases.

share|improve this answer
might want to add the info from my comment for cases where the op persists, which is nevertheless not the case here. – Andrew Barber Jul 18 '12 at 10:19
@AndrewBarber: Good idea, done. – Martijn Pieters Jul 18 '12 at 10:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .