Chat does not provide its own log-out button, nor is it obvious from any of the main menus. Eventually, I was able to figure out that if I logged out of chat by going to chat.<whatever>/logout and logged out of the main site (two separate steps) it let me log as someone else other than the person logged in. This presents two major problems:
- Logging out should be obvious from at least one of the menus. (Just like it is on the non-chat sites)
- Logging out should be complete — auto-login should not work until someone else logs in. Since it kept storing my credentials after I initially logged out, this represents what should be seen as a significant security risk.
I listed this as bug because, frankly, this is beyond an epic UI fail. The system fundamentally does not work as expected in a very important way.
- Go to chat site.
- Found that I was logged in as account 1
- Where is logout? (bug 1)
- Go to stackexchange.com (apparently already signed in as account 2. This might be a secondary bug: I was logged in to chat as one account, and stackexchange as another)
- Log out of stackexchange.com
- Apparently I was still logged in to chat! (!!!)
- Find chat logout after searching meta site.
- Logged out of chat.
- Auto login still let me log in (!!!)
- Logged out of chat again
- Logged in to stackexchange under account 2
- Logged in to chat as account 2.