Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

Is there a health-related site, or food-related site in the stack exchange umbrella that would be an appropriate place to ask this question: "Is ALL grade A milk pasteurized by definition"?

(aside: why does the following requirement exist? "must include one of these tags -- 'bug feature-request discussion support'" I had to put one of these tags on in order to create my question)

share|improve this question
Maybe – bfavaretto Aug 24 '12 at 2:19
the tag requirement is a meta restriction. This is a meta site. In general if your question doesn't fit one of hte other 3, choose discussion – wax eagle Aug 24 '12 at 2:25
As a side note the label grade A milk is probably something that only exists in you country and as such questions about it may be closed as Too Localized wherever it is asked. – Nifle Aug 24 '12 at 5:31
@Nifle an entire country is generally a lot of people. Given, there are some tiny countries, but for any sizable one, I doubt the question is too localized. – derobert Aug 24 '12 at 14:54
Yeah, a whole country is definitely not Too Localized, unless it's one of those 1-person island nation deals. They keep closing my questions about Brockaland's rich native history. – Ben Brocka Aug 24 '12 at 15:40
@derobert - So where do you draw the line? Iceland, Sweden, UK, USA – Nifle Aug 24 '12 at 17:55
@BenBrocka - See my reply to derobert – Nifle Aug 24 '12 at 17:56
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You could probably post this reasonably on either, or on I'd guess you'll have better luck on cooking.

As to your aside:

  1. Technically, you should ask it as another question, since it's nit really part of the milk one. That said,
  2. Unlike other sites, because everything here should be about the site (or the engine), questions should always be able to be categorized into one of those categories. And they help us and the community quickly bucket and track things for fixes, follow-up, etc.
share|improve this answer
Regarding (1), I knew that, but didn't want to have to be forced to choose one of the 4 categories again, esp. when I didn't feel comfortable choosing any of them... :) – Eddified Aug 24 '12 at 4:12

It's called the Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance, so I suspect the answer to your milk question is yes. Labelling laws being what they are, it's pretty easy to tell.

No offense, but questions like this that can be easily answered by a simple Google Search are not especially interesting, and likely to be closed regardless of the site you ask it on.

share|improve this answer
I googled quite a bit. It being titled "Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance" does not definitively answer the question. If you would be so kind as to find one link that makes it quite clear that United States Grade A always means pasteurized, I'd be happy. – Eddified Aug 25 '12 at 17:24
There could be a difference, for example, between "Grade A Milk" and "Grade A Pasteurized Milk". Perhaps the ordinance only specifies the requirements one has to meet in order to call their milk "Grade A Pasteurized". I don't know, hence the question. And yes, I spent a long time googling about it before I posted the question. – Eddified Aug 25 '12 at 17:29

There are several proposals, but none have even made it to private beta.

You're asking about the requirements of "grade A milk". Most likely, that is spelled out in your country's food labeling laws. Your country may also have general pasteurization rules to sell milk at all.

That's a law question, not really a cooking question.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .