We already have the following in the FAQ under "What kinds of questions should I not ask here":
- every answer is equally valid: “What’s your favorite ____?”
- your answer is provided along with the question, and you expect more answers: “I use ____ for ____, what do you use?”
- there is no actual problem to be solved: “I’m curious if other people feel like I do.”
- we are being asked an open-ended, hypothetical question: “What if ____ happened?”
- it is a rant disguised as a question: “____ sucks, am I right?”
Can we add the following to the list, the higher-up the better?
- you are asking for a product/tool recommendation, such as "Any recommendations for a ____" or "Can anyone suggest a ____ ?"
As I type this, I realize that recommendations could fall under the first bullet point, "Every answer is equally valid", but this tends to be overlooked a lot.
In that case, instead of a new bullet point, could we update the first bullet point to something along the lines of:
- every answer is equally valid: “What’s your favorite ____?”, or “Can you suggest/recommend a ____?”
This way, recommendations and suggestions are explicitly called out as invalid.