Is it OK to ask a question that is (for example1) only related to a product's internals or API's usage (hereafter named "subject") while it is possibly better2 suited in the product/API/tool's mailinglist, issue tracker or forum (hereafter named "target")? Or in other words, should one (I) ask such question at target rather than here?
In my opinion this is a difficult situation. Here are some considerations (pro/con, unordered):
- You probably encounter experts for the subject on target
- When asking on target it might be discarded because the maintainer(s) think it does not fit the product's goal or intention
- Asking it here might add no value to the community (might the same question at target add more value to that community?).
- Asking it on SE might bring up a different view and new ideas or other approaches and ...
- ... here you might get broader answers (or no answer at all ;)
- Posting it here feels more detached/impartial.
- It might cause discussion about cross posting on external sites?
1 if necessary, I'll try to add some examples
2 what is better? This might depend on personal attitude, of course
Please request further explanation of my question if it is not clear enough.