Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

When answering a Question and linking to a related Q&A, or simply an A, I'm never quite sure of what to use:

  1. Check this Q&A
  2. Check this Post
  3. Check this Thread

Probably, this is just a matter of semantics and personal preference, but was wondering if there is any definition, or standard terminology, or a blog post about this. Searching this Meta hasn't brought any insight.

Normally I use 1.
And maybe 2 and 3 are for blogs and forums, respectively.

share|improve this question
Check this answer or question is what I use; usually with a titled link so it is clear what is being linked to. – Martijn Pieters Jan 7 '13 at 16:36
@MartijnPieters, nice recall, most of the times I use a titled link too. – brasofilo Jan 7 '13 at 16:38
When I'm doing support and want the user to look at both the question and the answer, I say "post" as a catchall. – Aarthi Jan 7 '13 at 16:40
@Aarthi: The trouble is, at least for a Usenet old-timer like myself, "post" tends to mean the work of an individual and "thread" tends to mean a group of posts using the same subject. – Jon Ericson Jan 7 '13 at 16:56
@JonEricson That's legit -- I also will say "page" if I'm feeling a bit more general. :D – Aarthi Jan 7 '13 at 17:26
up vote 4 down vote accepted

1 and 2 are fine, I usually use "Q&A" if I want them to read both the question and answer(s), "post" if I only link to and care about one answer. Number 3, "thread," is explicitly not what we want. We are not a forum, we don't want threads, just questions and answers. That is why there are a number of suggestions to this effect: the FAQ, the rep requirement to post comments, post flags such as "Not an answer," comment flags (especially "too chatty"), the automatic suggestion to migrate comments to chat, etc.

share|improve this answer

Might I suggest we coin a new term:

  • quan?

It is the portmanteau of "QUestion&ANswer(s)". The word covers questions with any number of answers including 0. The plural form ("quans") designates multiple questions and not a single question with multiple answers.

It already has (a potentially confusing) meaning in a few languages, but not (yet) in English.

share|improve this answer
Wow, Lewis Carroll and a loop! The word "portmanteau" itself is thus a portmanteau. Nice readings, thanks! – brasofilo Jan 7 '13 at 17:59
Surely this should be quandan (QUestionsANDANswers) or quanan or something..? – ben is uǝq backwards Jan 7 '13 at 18:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .