Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

I have a suspected broken HDD on my hands and wondered if there was a Stack Exchange site where I could get an answer to one of the questions I had?

I think Stack Overflow (where I usually post my questions) is obviously not the place to ask. But I like Stack Exchange because the answers come in really quickly :).

share|improve this question
Either Super User or Server Fault. I'm not sure which is better. – Mysticial Jan 16 '13 at 15:38
Mysticial, Super User is for power users, while Server Fault is for professional sysadmins (this means that the typical variant of this question for Server Fault would be "How do I restore it from backup?"). – Emil Vikström Jan 16 '13 at 15:43
Please be aware that SU and SF already have a ton of questions about failing you most likely will already find answers to your questions. Please don't just ask another "My HDD is dying, how do I rescue the data" question. – Time Traveling Bobby Sep 1 '13 at 14:47
up vote 3 down vote accepted

That would be Super User, where you can ask question about:

  • computer hardware
  • computer software
  • personal and home computer networking

Super User is not for corporate IT questions, though. If you are a professional sysadmin, you should consider asking on Server Fault instead.

share|improve this answer
I am not sure a question about a broken HDD would be relevant for Server Fault. – kiamlaluno Jan 17 '13 at 9:16
kiamlaluno, we don't know the question so we can only speculate, right? :-) (At least we didn't know it before OP posted it to SU). – Emil Vikström Jan 17 '13 at 20:53
I am assuming a HDD is not not directly related to professional server, networking, or related infrastructure administration; even a home computer has HDDs. It then depends from the question. – kiamlaluno Jan 17 '13 at 21:19

You should ask on Super User. Quoting the FAQ:

Super User is for computer enthusiasts and power users. If you have a question about …

  • computer hardware
  • computer software
  • personal and home computer networking
share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .