Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

It is a question about complexity (the computer science term). And I'd really like to have an expert look at the question and the 2 voted answers. The question has been there for a while (2 days), so I wonder if it will get fixed someday.

The complexity concept is complex, and I really feel bad when a wrong answer gets accepted, or has a higher score than a correct one. Really. It's not (only) the rep points; if the wrong answer is down-voted, the average reader will at least know that the answer is possibly not relevant.

So, is there a way to raise the hand and call for an expert look? (I mean, in all modesty, another expert.)

share|improve this question
No, not really. You get a look at your question from the users and can only hope for an "expert" to drop by. Awarding a bounty might get more attention, but not particularly from an "expert". – Bart Jan 19 '13 at 11:35
In general, this question is not too much different from the old "How do I ping Jon Skeet and get him to look at my problem?" question, for which the answer is "You can't and don't". – slugster Jan 19 '13 at 11:46
I think it could be an interesting feature - since I discovered SO, this is one of the rare time I'd like to use that right! (ie not abusing it). Feature not being "call Skeet"... but a new Tab "Questions requiring expert look" – ringø Jan 19 '13 at 11:52
@ring0 And what defines an "expert look"? How is that going to be judged? I would say you can't really judge that. And then you'll end up with something similar to a bounty anyway. – Bart Jan 19 '13 at 11:55
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The only way to invite experts to take a closer look at your question is chat, if there's an appropriate chat room. Fortunately, for computer science, we not only have appropriate chat rooms, but two Stack Exchange 2.0 sites:

I'd start by dropping the question in Computer Science's main chat room, don't ping anyone directly, just drop the question and explain your concerns, I'm sure one of the regulars will eventually get back at you. Just keep in mind that SE 2.0 sites don't get as much traffic as SO, you'll might have to wait a couple of days for a response.

share|improve this answer
Good idea, thanks. Actually I started a chat with the person, but seemingly he was in a bad faith mood. Not used much to the chats yet... – ringø Jan 19 '13 at 11:54
@ring0 if by "bad faith mood" you mean "didn't want to be pestered in chat about looking at somebody's question", you're going to have to live with that possibility. Experts on SE sites volunteer their time, most of them aren't terribly fond of being directly. Just present your issue in chat and if somebody is willing to help, they will get back to you – Pëkka Jan 19 '13 at 11:58
@Pekka this is not what I mean. I was in a chat room with the person wrongly answering the question - when (I think) I demonstrated where the problem was in his answer, he could not admit it, using incorrect arguments - this is what I call "bad faith mood" – ringø Jan 19 '13 at 12:00
@ring0 ah, okay. That's something different. – Pëkka Jan 19 '13 at 12:02
Update: it happens the guy answered correctly and I was wrong, so I forgot my weird printf prejudice and took some rest.. – ringø Jan 21 '13 at 8:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .