Just to add another layer of make-believe "awards" to the existing reputation and badges, I thought it might be interesting to have something that is transient, based on ranked performance over a given time period (call them what you like, but I'll refer to them as trophies for the rest of this post).
To put it another way, have trophies that would be awarded to the user who has performed "best" based on a given set of conditions over say a week. That user would then hold that trophy for the week, but would (potentially) lose it to another user the following week as the rankings change.
So for example you could have:
- Sage - User who posts the most accepted answers in a week
- Most Improved - User who gains the most reputation in a week relative to their total reputation
- Collector - User who is awarded the most unique badges in a week
- Overflowed - User who has spent the most time on the site in a week (not sure if you can measure this, but it could be most views, most votes, etc)
- Philosopher - User who asks the question with the most upvotes (or question with the most answers, or most questions) in a given week
- Quick Draw - User who answers a question (and gets accepted) the fastest in a given week
- Paramedic - User who brings the oldest question in a given week back to life, by answering it (and getting accepted)
To make sure super-users (like Jon Skeet) don't just constantly have all of them, you could include one or all of the following:
- Only allow any given user to hold one trophy at a time
- Only allow a user to hold a given trophy once ever (or once a month/year/etc)
- Make it so that any user who has already held a given trophy needs to do exponentially more to gain it again (eg. with the Collector - userA has 10 badges in a week & userB has 9, userA wins, but the following week, userA gets a 20% handicap, meaning if userA got 10 again & userB got 9 again, userB would win since 10*0.8 < 9)
Note: you could also get a badge to indicate/prove that you once held a given trophy.
I guess I better make this a question... So what do you think? Stupid idea? Good idea? Really stupid idea? Good idea, but would take too much dev time, so a low priority? Suggestions for other trophies?