Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

I am not sure if or where this type of question might fit into the SE fora.

I need to submit materials for a client to a US government website that has been down for the past three days. I followed advice from webapps SE regarding how to determine whether a website is actually down and the site has been reported as down from all of these methods.

However, my question is what the best practice would be for documenting that the site is unavailable as a sort of safety net in the event that we are unable to figure out how to submit the materials on time as a result of the site being down (obviously we're trying to make contact through other means, but it seems like a good safety net). Is this really a webapp question?

I don't administer the site so it seems like this might not be a fit for serverfault, and perhaps it doesn't belong in SE at all- but my line of thinking was that those who work on the backend of servers and sites would be able to shed helpful light on testing and/or showing that a server can not be accessed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by BinaryMisfit, psubsee2003, Sam I am, Lance Roberts, ЯegDwight Mar 25 '13 at 19:59

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Screenshots...? – ben is uǝq backwards Mar 25 '13 at 15:16
I'm not sure about what is being actually asked here? – hjpotter92 Mar 25 '13 at 15:26
@BackinaFlash I guess I'm asking where to ask the question: what is the best way to document that a website is down/unavailable to users? Sorry- I realize it's convoluted. – batpigandme Mar 25 '13 at 15:32
Wouldn't contacting a notary/attorney be the usual thing to do if you need official paperwork? I really don't think there's anything special with this being a website. And that would essentially be legal advice - so not really SE domain. (And this comment is totally not legal advice, btw :-) ) – Mat Mar 25 '13 at 15:32
@Mat good call- luckily I'm in an office full of lawyers. Sometimes technology is not the curveball we make it out to be... :) – batpigandme Mar 25 '13 at 15:37