What is meta? ×
Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 131 Stack Exchange communities.

For example :

The tag.

95% of the Questions are closed as off-topic.The other 5% also being off-topic (but not closed) despite of being equally off-topic.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

Bad tags exist because anyone with sufficient rep can add tags. It would be nice if they only added good ones, but that's not the world we live in.

If a tag is sufficiently bad, and sufficiently persistent, it can be blacklisted to prevent its further use. may well rise to that threshold, but I'd be curious about how persistent it's been and how consistent an indicator of a bad question it is.

share|improve this answer
6  
I just went through and removed it from 2 or 3 questions and closed the rest, so I'd say it's pretty consistently bad. –  Bill the Lizard Apr 16 '13 at 17:36
4  
@BilltheLizard Yeah, I was about 30 seconds behind you getting lots of "This question has already been closed," messages. Sounds like a reasonable tag to blacklist to me. –  blahdiblah Apr 16 '13 at 17:38

This is actually useful, even in cases where not absolutely all such questions are offtopic (maybe tex and latex are examples of this - most questions are offtopic, but theoretically there could be questions on them that are actually about programming). That's because people so motivated (such as myself) can follow the tag and pounce on such questions to catch bad questions earlier!

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .