I have read through most if not all topics concerning posting anonymously on Meta, but I haven't find any satisfactory topic.
Some people argue that it is necessary to be able to post anonymously. I agree on that. The proposed answer to that is to log out and post as an actual anonymous user, as has been answered and commented multiple times (e.g. here and here) . This, however, is not what I would think is the more logical option.
Sometimes it is preferable to ask a question anonymously:
- You don't want to be associated with the question, but you really want to know the answer (questions concerning sexuality and others come to mind)
- The answer is embarrassingly simple
- You are sure that because of your low rep you won't get enough feedback
- You don't want to link a question to your account, which is linked to your Careers account
A solution would be to allow an option which posts your question as anonymous, but which is still linked to your account. A possible extension could be allowing anonymous bounties. This means that:
- you will still get notifications through the normal notification menu
- your anonymous questions (and bounties) will still be stacked with your "normal" questions on your profile, but the anonymous ones will only be visible to you
The downside of this for the poster would be that he cannot gain any reputation by asking anonymous questions - as to provide transparency where a user got his rep - but questions can be up or downvoted (to make clear whether a question is relevant/useful).
Also, please be so kind as to elaborate on why you decide to downvote.