Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

This question already has an answer here:

Sometimes, we give a correct answer to a question, and then later, the OP changes the question, so that the answer does not match the question any more. Later, some careless readers come in and vote down those answers that used to be correct but do not match the question any more because the question was edited. We cannot keep "polling" all the questions that we have ever answered to see if they are changed. What is the best way to deal with these stupid down votes?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Time Traveling Bobby, Matt, Martijn Pieters, ben is uǝq backwards, Doorknob Apr 19 '13 at 11:54

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

In this situation, the OP is more stupid than a downvoter :) – hims056 Apr 19 '13 at 11:31
Usually a question is changed in the first hour after posting and that's it. – juergen d Apr 19 '13 at 11:33
@SulfurizedDemonbobby That question is about OP leaving comments requesting follow up. In that case there is little concern about the answer being downvoted by late visitors. – Antony Apr 19 '13 at 11:35
up vote 9 down vote accepted

It is not the down votes that are stupid; the question being changed is the problem.

In such a case, one thing should happen: the question needs to be reverted, if it was truly altered significantly.

If you can't or don't want to do it, or if you already have and the OP edits it back, flag the question as "Other" and describe the problem. We'll take care of it.

share|improve this answer

When a user edits his question so that the current answers no longer makes any sense, you should usually just revert the change and ask them to post a new question instead.

If they re-do the same edit or make trouble, flag for a mod.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .