There is a known troll (Python Newbie aka Python Questions) who, along with his various sockpuppets, is very easy to identify, because:
- He always asks questions along the lines of "How do I do X using Y?", to which people answer "Maybe you should use Z instead", to which he responds with "No! Using Z leads one further from God and into the clutches of the fascist and godless Google!"
- He always uses similar names.
- He never fails to flame people who tell him to use Z.
Mods have deleted or suspended several of his sockpuppets by now.
(Note for the curious: X = some webapp-related task, Y = Apache + mod-wsgi, Z = some Python web framework.)
Every time mods delete a few of his sockpuppets, a question pops up that's similar (but not identical) to something the troll would ask. The two I've seen so far:
These rouse my suspicion because:
- These are pretty unusual questions.
- They turn up only when the troll is around. The first one appeared when he was on his first spree. The second one appeared today, just a few hours after the troll posted his first question after a days-long hiatus.
However, the askers in these cases aren't using the troll's usual name, and aren't insulting the commenters, so I'm not perfectly sure.
Plus the questions are getting closed and downvoted as they ought to be, so I'm not sure if this is something that even needs to be reported.
Possible account hijack
The second of those questions comes from a pre-existing account. Prior to asking that ridiculously broad question, all the questions they asked were reasonably-scoped. Absolutely none of them have a negative score. This leads me to suspect that their account might have been hijacked by our troll.
Or am I just being paranoid?
Both the posts I linked to have been removed in the 5 hours since I made this post.
The first question was "voluntarily removed by its author" about an hour after this question was posted. That's not particularly interesting, though. (I don't see how his decision on deleting it would be affected by whether or not he's the troll.)
The second question was "removed from Stack Overflow for reasons of moderation". This is highly interesting. From what I've seen, similarly broad questions aren't deleted posthaste; they're just closed (as this one was, before being removed). Other questions by this user have been left intact.
Could the mod who removed that question please comment on what happened?