I received an interesting email this morning that appears to me to be spam:
Hello , I came across your profie in (stackoverflow.com) and I will like us to have a goodrelationship and to know much better .my name is Blessing, i am single and never marriage.I will wait for your reply . you can contact me at this my email address ( [--------------]@yahoo.com) so that i can send you my picture andmore about myself. waiting to hear from you .
PLEASE CONTACT ME DIRECTLY WITH THIS EMAIL ([--------------]@yahoo.com)
It has many of the hallmarks of spam, but my email isn't listed in my SO profile, so one of the following must be true:
- They made their bot harvest emails from sites linked from SO
- They collected addresses by hand
- They got the emails from the database (I imagine this is stripped, but don't know)
- They got it from the openid provider (does openid give out info without credentials?)
- They sent the same message to their entire mailing list, hoping to catch out a few people with the name of a specific website (and thus bringing new SO users to SO in the process who are wondering what their profile is doing there)
- It isn't spam (Sorry blessing - I'm not interested in getting to know people that write email that looks exactly like spam)
I'm interested in other possibilities, and to hear if anyone else received something similar.