OMG, plz help fix this rampant problem.
This is a follow-up to my plea to fix some spelling errors on Stack Overflow. This received several comments1 2 3 4 and an answer demonstrating the significant problem that is present with text or chat speak creeping into questions and answers.
The problem is really bad on Stack Overflow, but it is not limited exclusively to that site. Here is a sampling of horrible text/chat speak, misspellings on a variety of Stack Exchange sites:
- :) - 194k Stack Overflow, 49 Movies&TV, 306 DBA.SE, 2k Programmers
- :-) - 30k Stack Overflow, 120 DBA.SE, 775 Programmers
- ;) - 38k Stack Overflow, 694 Programmers
- thx - 11k Stack Overflow
I am aware that it might be difficult to prevent words from being allowed into questions/answers. For example, below are a few samples of why a mass update of text misspellings could cause issues:
- pls - while this is heavy used as a substitute for please, as @BilltheLizard discovered PLS is a real thing
- ur - a wonderful alternative to you are, this could be used correctly as an alias in a sql query
While I would truly love to prevent these terribly misspelled words from being allowed, I don't know if it's possible. This request is to ask that the chat/text emoticons be prevented. When a user attempts to submit a post with an emoticon, they will receive an message similar to this:
Or if we do not want to include a message that would prevent asking the question, can we add this list of emoticons to the automatic removal of Hi?
This list would include but not be limited to the following:
Please consider adding this to the sites, I think it would be a great way to keep the content a bit cleaner.
Update to clarify, this is not a request to prevent this in comments, this would be for questions/answers.