The Help Center pages are inconsistent with regard to the dashes being used. Currently, you will find all three of those:
- The hyphen-minus (-)
- The en-dash (–)
- The em-dash (—)
Let's look at these examples:
- Why is voting important? (uses hyphen-minus and en-dashes)
- What are tags, and how should I use them? (uses en- and em-dashes)
- What should I do when someone answers my question? (uses hyphen-minus)
Please make this consistent:
- Do not use the hyphen here, as it should only be used in compound words or word division.
- Use either the en- or em-dash in all occurrences.
While you're at it, the What are tags page mentions:
Replace spaces with dashes (-) …
But this is not a dash—it's a hyphen-minus. If I enter a tag with an en-dash, e.g.
[testing–tag], the tag gets split at the dash.