My question is about tags that deal with plotting, graphing, charts, visualization, etc. I know there has been some previous discussion about this - at the level of whether there should be a graph tag and about establishing clarity for non-visualization meanings of "graph." But, it doesn't seem like there's much coherence to the presently available tags for visualization.
What I would like to know is whether many of these tags should be made into synonyms. If so, what should the main tag(s) be? Or, do we need to preserve different tags for some reason?
Below I provide some examples. It seems like almost all of the tags are synonyms, or close to it.
General visualization tags:
- plot: "A graphical technique for presenting a data set or an equation." with synonym plotting
- charts: "A sheet of information in the form of a table, graph, or diagram." with synonyms chart, charting, and charting-controls
- graphing: no wiki, no synonyms
- graphics: "Graphics are visual presentations. There are many types of graphics, for example, photographs, drawings, line art, graphs, and charts. Computer graphics primarily consist of bitmap and vector graphics.", with synonym computer-graphics
- diagram: "A diagram is a two-dimensional geometric symbolic representation of information according to some visualization technique.", no synonyms
- diagramming: "Diagramming is a process used to create and edit diagrams. Software diagramming functions provide a user interface facility to create and edit diagrams graphically.", no synonyms
- visualization: "Visualization is any technique for creating images, diagrams, or animations to communicate a message.", with synonym visualisation
- data-visualization: "Data visualization is the study of the visual representation of data. Maps and charts are common types of data visualization, but there are many more.", no synonyms
EDIT: Tags that have been clarified:
- figure, "A container for images, plots or other graphical elements with some optional meta-information.", no synonyms
So, ultimately, my question is: how should we deal with general tags for plotting, charting, graphing, visualization, etc. that aren't about either specific types of plots or specific packages for plotting? My instinct is to merge all of these into plot but maybe I'm missing something.