This question already has an answer here:
I recently had one question put on "Hold" on Stack Overflow and was really sad, shocked and confused. It turns out that I modified my question, another user also improved it a lot and it was reopened.
But I'm still amazed and disturbed by the fact that I cannot ask question like "What is the best...".
This type of question has some negatives:
- Create emotional reactions
- Attracts spams
- Attracts non objective answers, sometimes by creators of products/software
- Could lead to inappropriate exchange/words
- Generate lots of unnecessary information
- It is subjective
But these kinds of questions also have their positives:
- It create debate where lots of useful information came out
- Brings new information that could lead to change some minds / a new vision to readers
- In most case, those questions lead to a solution that will save a lot more time than any other kind of question
- In most case, those questions lead to a solution that will save a lot more of money than any other kind of question (usually related to products)
- Brings creator reaction that would bring additional useful information on the product, reason of certain design decision, ...
Considering the negatives and the positives, and also considering that Stack Overflow has a really good system for rewarding/penalizing users, I think that the acceptance of this type of questions would be a lot more beneficial for users than anything else. It is only because Stack Overflow has this rewarding system that it could support those type of questions easily whithout too much drawbacks. Also, Stack Overflow has the best reputation and is recognized as the best question/answer system now for programmers (it is subjective I know, but don't be blind, be honest and admit it), then I think that it returns to Stack Exchange to offer that type of question for the benefits of everyone.
If Stack Overflow does not support this type of question, what can we do? Where can we go to have lots and good reactions to this type of questions? Who will do it?