Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

As the title suggests, what, exactly, do we call the individual Stack Exchange sites? I've spent a while thinking about it and can't come up with an answer. Stacklets? Stacks? Exchangelets? Subexchanges? Is there an official name we use? It's odd that I've never seen the sites spoken of in this way, but I'm sure it's come up at least once in conversation.

Note: This is not a duplicate of this question: What are the "proper" names for Stack Exchange sites? which is clearly very different.

share|improve this question
as for me, I tend to call them little stackies (on a more serious note, I recall them referred to as Trilogy and smaller sites) – gnat Aug 23 '13 at 18:37
Stacklets when I'm not being serious, Stack Exchange sites when I am. – ChrisForrence Aug 23 '13 at 18:39
possible duplicate of Stack Exchange Glossary - Dictionary of Commonly-Used Terms – gnat Aug 23 '13 at 18:49
@gnat I've poured over it twice and don't see what you're getting at. If you could point out where exactly the dictionary contains this term, I'd be grateful. – DanteTheEgregore Aug 23 '13 at 18:53
@ZachSmith look for "Stack Exchange network" and "Q&A sites" – gnat Aug 23 '13 at 18:57
@gnat I still don't see how that satisfies the question being asked here. None of the items in the glossary are at all satisfactory answers to the question. – DanteTheEgregore Aug 23 '13 at 19:07
@gnat Those are terms contained within various descriptions, not individual glossary items. I think that's a bit of a stretch as a duplicate. – Bart Aug 23 '13 at 19:08
Also, Trilogy's supposed to refer to the three original sites (Stack Overflow, Superuser, and Server Fault). It's used to refer to all sites as a whole, but it isn't correct in that context. – DanteTheEgregore Aug 23 '13 at 19:12
Hmm yeah, I've seen people call them "stacks" and that really irritates me. They are "sites" for short, or "Stack Exchange sites" if you wish to be descriptive. Just like all other web sites. – Cody Gray Aug 24 '13 at 6:18

Stack Exchange sites.

Or, since the About page for each site starts of with "{site name} Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for..." they could be called "a Stack Exchange".

share|improve this answer
From the trademark guidance: A Stack Exchange site is a Q&A website built on the technology of Stack Exchange Inc. The phrase "Stack Exchange" is generally used as an adjective, not a noun. One would say "Propose a Stack Exchange site on Area 51" (correct), not "Propose a Stack Exchange on Area 51" (wrong). – Adam Lear Aug 23 '13 at 18:48
That darn trademark guidance. Might want to have a look at those {site} pages, then. – Al E. Aug 23 '13 at 19:04
One would say "Propose a Stack Exchange site on Area 51" (correct), not "Propose a Stack Exchange on Area 51" (wrong). Don't tell me what to do! – Shoe Aug 23 '13 at 19:20
There's nothing with the grammar on the About page. It doesn't say "A Stack Exchange is a..." it says "Philosophy Stack Exchange is a..." Big difference—the latter is the actual name of the site, which is a discrete unit and can therefore be used with an article. – Cody Gray Aug 24 '13 at 6:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .