This question already has an answer here:
- Reputation for Badges 5 answers
I would like to propose that whenever a badge is awarded an additional rep reward is also given (bear with me this isn't just an attempt to get more rep for my badges).
Context of rep
In almost all cases rep is given for subject level knowledge, well researched questions receive upvotes and accurate answers receive upvotes; both requiring subject level knowledge. The only way to gain rep without having subject level knowledge is editing and that’s a slow process at +2 a time.
However; rep opens up increasingly more tools. First convenience tools like comments and posting images then voting and then increasing levels of moderator tools.
Context of badges
Badges on the other hand are awarded for a wide variety of reasons, some subject level like
Great-Answer but many are for correctly using the abilities you already have such as
Deputy for raising 80 helpful flags or
Steward for reviewing.
Badges are shiny and fun to collect but (apart from a few specific ones for moderator elections) have no other effect.
I believe that someone having previously been awarded the
Marshal badge for raising 500 helpful flags is a good indication that they'll do a good job of close/reopen voting. Rep with badges would support this.
The main purpose of stack exchange is and always should be answering questions. For these reasons some restrictions should probably be placed on this.
- Bronze badges should probably get 0 because they are too easy to get.
- Perhaps a limit should be set on badge based rep (similar to edit based rep) or a ratio limit of badge rep to normal rep (probably too complicated)
- Perhaps a minimum rep should be required before you start getting badge based rep to avoid people having high rep without ever having posted a well received question/answer (although this can already be achieved with editing)
- Its also probably excessive to additionally reward badges that result from rep-generating activities, such as
- Easily gamable badges certainly shouldn't generate rep