Who is the "Community" User?
It is an automated user agent, not a real person. Its profile explains:
Hi, I'm not really a person.
I'm a background process that helps keep this site clean!
I do things like
- Randomly poke old unanswered questions* every hour so they get some attention
- Own community questions and answers so nobody gets unnecessary reputation from them
- Own downvotes on spam/evil posts that get permanently deleted
- Own suggested edits from anonymous users
- Remove abandoned questions
* Questions with at least 30 days of no activity, at least one answer scoring zero, and no answers scoring above that. Questions that are locked or closed will not be bumped. The Community User will only bump a maximum of one question per hour.
Randomly poking old unanswered questions might make its name appear as the last editor of a question, but only in some overviews, not in the question itself:
The reason why it has so many downvotes is because it owns all of the downvotes of deleted posts.
- Owns tag wikis, privilege wikis, FAQ/about wikis, and election wikis
- Rejects suggested edits which may involve edit conflicts
- Flags smelly stuff for moderators and/or 10k users
- Owns certain meta posts, including site evaluation and election meta posts
- Becomes the second acceptance vote on an edited suggested edit
- Owns bounties from deleted users
- Locks and delete spam posts
- Locks migrated posts and rejected migrations
- Does other unintended things