We frequently have questions about NullPointerExceptions in Java where the process is basically the same, with minor variations:
- I have a NullPointerException
- What's the stack trace?
- What's a stack trace?
- This is what a stack trace is (in some cases: and this is how modify your code to avoid suppressing it).
- OK, here's the stack trace.
- Your variable x must be null.
- No, it can't be null.
- Yes it is, because you've declared it but not initialized it.
or something very similar.
Obviously the ideal answer would be "learn to use a debugger", but this will be too much work for some people, so the second-best answer would be a detailed step-by-step guide that covers all those bases.
Also, obviously there are plenty of duplicates for these questions that must come up when the users are typing in their questions. But I suspect these new users either look at the duplicate questions, and think "That's completely different code, that's not applicable to my situation", or don't even bother to look at them.