Acknowledgement: I'll start by acknowledging that I understand why new users are not allowed to post comments. The fear is that comments will be used for spamming purposes.
Observation: What I see is new users posting bad answers that are either mostly comments or outright comments in the place of answers.
Apparently new user's ability to contribute is hindered by the limitation on commenting. I can understand this. I use comments incessantly to understand the OP's issues before crafting an answer.
- Are "bad comments" more of a problem than "bad answers"?
1) Are answers easier to track and review?
2) Would adding comment review for sub 50 users be too tedious?
- Are the added problems with new users mis-using the Answer system less of a problem than potential abuse of comments?
1) could comments be flagged?
2) Do other people worry about chasing away new users -- voices want to be heard and are simply deleted as non-answers?
I don't mean this to be a feature thread because I know there has been serious debate on this subject inside Stack-Central and outside.
I'm a fairly junior SO users and am sure there are more concerns I'm not aware of. This is meant as a purely informational thread.