Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

This question already has an answer here:

I was reviewing one question on SO, but the question was having a weird or say special kind of characters/lining over it. I dont understand from where it came ? although that question was removed after repeated down voting but I could take some screenshot of it. I still didn't understand from where they came from ? I checked that question in both Latest Firefox and Chrome browser but it was still there. following is the screen shot:
Screenshot: 1 enter image description here

Screenshot 2
enter image description here

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by random Dec 16 '13 at 5:52

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Link to the question. (currently deleted -10k only)… – Josh Crozier Dec 16 '13 at 5:51

Those are Unicode combining characters. They can be used to add accents to letters, but if you add more than one, they'll stack. They have been used (somewhat) legitimately in the famous “parsing HTML with regex” answer.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .