This has been a large part of my experience of the app so far:
- Open app during commute. Click question from feed. Connectivity lost for a few seconds. App crashes.
- Open app at home/work. Click question from feed. Phone switches network interface (3G to WiFi). App crashes.
- Open app during commute while on 2G or EDGE. Wait for feed to load. Keep waiting. Still waiting....
- At other random times. Click any question from feed. App crashes. Click any other question. App crashes again. Loop till phone restart.
- Open app. Go to any site. Click random question. App crashes. Repeat, but try another question from same site. App crashes. Repeat for any question on same site.
- Go to question with lots (20+?) of comments. Click on show more comments. App crashes.
- Go to question with lots of comments. Tap any comment for comment menu. App crashes.
- If your feed loaded while on 2G^^^^, then try to open anything. And wait......
- Once a post loads on 2G, if it loads, tap upvote. Wait. Keep waiting. App crashes.
- On other random occasions, while on 3G/WiFi, tap upvote/downvote. App crashes.
- Open MSO. Tap on any of the top locked posts. App crashes.
- Do nothing. App crashes in the background at random times.
All of these do not happen everytime, but happen frequently enough to be a huge hindrance to using the app. Most so when you have reached a question while following a long chain of links, or through a long search query, or even when you want to fill in a few minutes while waiting. Also, I have experienced most of these within the past 4-5 days itself, so these are all problems present in the current versions.
Considering that the main purpose of the app will be to read questions and answers, the fact that the app fails to fulfill that basic use case with a very high frequency on an un-modded Android configuration on a decent phone, I feel that the beta may be coming too soon.
Also, going forward, the app should be tested on 2G or EDGE network speeds. The experience of using the app on such connections is, in one word, frustrating.
Why am I not posting these as bug reports? I kind of got tired after the first 19.
Also, this is no way a slight to the dev team. Their responses have been quick and they have been extremely helpful throughout.