I have recently seen yet another question where I thought "hey, that should better be at codereview", and then went to close->offtopic->other site -> uhm, there was no codereview. And then I was unsure on what to do next. So I left it as-is, since it otherwise felt like a fine question. I shortly considered flagging it for moderator attention, but ultimately didn't. codereview is just an example, it can happen for a lot of other sites.
Reading various questions and comments here suggested that this would have been the right thing to do, but a lot also expressed they felt hesitant for various reasons. Among them are -- and I feel a little of them all too -- the following:
- Already went what was thought to be the proper route to close the question; then got stuck and didn't want to go back through the interface to close.
- Hesitant to flag for moderator attention because moderators seem to be responsible for "real" issues, and this doesn't seem to be such a big deal.
- Hesitant to flag for moderator attention, because they are generally careful with flagging, and want to generally avoid having "declined" flags in their flagging history (It seems that to those people, having it declined feels like having done something wrong)
There are some question that deal with this, or similar issues, and have sometimes been declined, or as answers there you can find wishes for a new feature.
- More options when flagging for migration would want to add more sites, which would remove the problem only for those added.
- Update Migration Path List for Non-Moderators is a trigger to revise the list, but it is probably not formalized how/when this is being done.
- Migrate shortlist based on tags? is intresting, but error prone (when the OP chose the wrong site, its likely he also chose wrong tags)
- more flexible offtopic migration asks for being able to manually specify the url to migrate to
- Better "Flag for migration" interface is similar, though I don't think we should offer a list of possible sites to migrate to, but rather add a bullet point, and have it say "instead of vote, flag for moderator attention with: [textbox]"
Some people here suggest that questions should just be closed as offtopic and not migrated at all; we currently have the possibility to migrate, and I think unless those people get the migration feature removed alltogether, we should improve migration as good as we can.
It might also be a good idea to consider making this a double action: vote for close as offtopic, and at the same time mark for moderator attention. In that case, the voter clearly states "hey, this doesn't belong here", but he flags for moderator attention too.
I propose that we add a last bullet point, just almost as proposed in Add "Flag as Other" checkbox to "Vote to Close as Off-Topic" dialog and More options when flagging for migration
With the (imho) important difference that it should be made more clear that this is a flagging for moderator attention, so it should be set apart from the rest, visually, and the text should probably say: "Flag for moderator attention" and the textbox should be pre-filled with the text "Please migrate this to ". A text below should say something like "This counts as a close vote with the reason: "
Image from those answers is: