Jeff mentions in this answer that the amount of time the "Don’t forget you can mark an answer as accepted" appears is n days. This implies that n is configurable, and may vary from site to site or time to time.
Right now, we rely on the FAQ and Meta to help us figure out what the current settings are for any particular site. This seems sub-optimal, since they can change, and the data is obviously available somewhere.
Would it be possible to set up a configuration page where certain configuration data is visible to all, to be used as a reference by users? Obviously we don't want to dump all the meta-data, just the subset that is safe and useful for users.
I don't know which items are configurable and which are hardcoded, but the following possibilities come to mind:
- The amount of time for which the "Don’t forget you can mark an answer as accepted" appears
- The number of comment flags allowed per day
- The number of post flags allowed per day
- The number of votes allowed per day
- The length of time during which changing a vote is permitted
- The "power" threshholds currently listed explicity in the FAQ.
- Probably more... suggestions?