I've had problems today and yesterday, yes. (I believe there was a new drop over the weekend... or it may just have been that that's when our desktop updater picked it up.) I don't know whether the version I use is exactly the same as the version you're using (I don't know whether internally we're ahead of the public "dev" channel or behind it; I suspect we're on it) but it sounds like the same problem.
I've found that restarting Chrome solves the issue temporarily, but that it becomes problematic again fairly soon. I've switched to Firefox for SO (and related sites) temporarily; hopefully it'll be fixed in the next version. (If it isn't, I'll try to delve a bit deeper and work out what's going wrong.)
Until now, it's been working very well - I'm looking forward to normal service resuming :)